Thursday, September 18, 2008

...the other shoe.

I'm in Philadelphia in an office alone at 8:30, and I'll be here on the phone for another 2-3 hours.

I got the call on Sunday night, bought a plane ticket, made arrangements for the cat, then woke up at 3:30 Am to fly here. I came to the office, ate a $2 egg sandwich from a Philly street vendor, then prepped for about 8 hours. I had a drink with a compatriot who is doing something similar, slept some hours, then ran a training for a day and a half for new folks.

I found housing for all 17 of us on short notice in a hostel on the outskirts of Philly. Encouragingly, no-one wined about the 25 minute walk through a state park at 11 at night to get there.

At the end of the day yesterday, after 9 hours of training, I rented seven cars and sent them all off with directions to cities they've never been to before, with free housing for everyone except one rigged up. I got him a hotel room.

This morning everyone extended their cellphone plans to unlimited, printed off hundreds of flyers and started hustling. I think I probably maxed out my credit card placing newspaper ads, that will begin running tomorrow or Saturday. People met with registrars and got forms, and started seeking out sites to canvass at. They found public places, or stores to do interviews in, and libraries to convene at after canvassing.

So, as of tomorrow, we'll hire our first people in to six new voter reg offices all over Pennsylvania, that someone decided now was the time to pony up $300,000 for. That brings my total offices across the state to nine. We'll register another 24,000 people over the next 18 days.

Tomorrow morning I drive out to some lucky office to do some flyering and find some more sites.

At the end of the 18 days we'll shut all the shit down and ship everyone off. I'll put out any residual fires. Then off to some other training on getting out the vote. I hope I can get all the rental cars back.

No comments: