Friday, September 19, 2008

Whatever works

People are on the ground. Reading, PA is sleepy. Card is maxed, I have $55 to my name, a rental car, and an eighth of a tank of gas, and more offices to go to before Tuesday when I get paid. The pizza joint we're operating out of here has pizza for $1.75 a slice, though. Certainly not on a par with the $2 egg sandwich, but still cool. Think I can stay with the couple that's housing one of my directors tonight, which is cool, but might sleep in my car. Less cool. I have high hopes, though.

Mixed bag on the first night of reporting. Some folks are out of the gates and adapting quickly. Good plan in place for a couple offices to register over 1K voters next week, get up to sending out 40-50 people a day. Planning weekend canvasses at cab stops, movie theaters, rehab clinics, diners, bodegas, grocery stores, the drunk tank, etc.

More rural places need to switch to door to door, which some of them have figured out immediately and are on. Some are basically nowhere, gotta help them figure out whatever works. People are also duplicative in their tasks, gotta get people to focus, and divide the labor so we can get more done.

Tomorrow is focusing people on best practices, figuring out division of labor and doing payroll for the first time for the offices. Plus a conference call with bosses to figure out if we're in the right places.

Back on the smoking wagon. Back on irritating coffee shop owners by outstaying my welcome. What's the proper proportion for coffee bought and hours spent to stay on their good side? Seems to vary, perhaps by the number of conference calls I'm on and pacing, and how close the bathroom is to the front counter. Gotta partition out the money for coffee, food, and gas. Solid supply of pens, but would like to buy some pencils and a sharpener so I can erase offending idiocies I write down, lest I return to them. Good to have something to look forward to for the future.

Hi, wife :).

1 comment:

candycanesammy said...

sounds like you live the life i live when i'm making movies...a weird, nomadic, frazzled existence. the difference is that i usually do it for about a month at a time, whereas this is your whole life.

hardcore, i say. very hardcore. i can't even imagine.